Holy Name : Sri Sankaranarayana Swamy Temple
God : Sri Sankaralingam, Sri Sankara Narayana Swamy
Goddess : Sri Gomathi Amman
Location : Sankarankovil, Tirunelveli District, Tamil Nadu, India.
Thala Virutcham : Punnai
History & Importance :
- Sankara Narayana Temple features a magnificent 9 tier Rajagopuram. The temple depicts the concept of Hari (Vishnu) and Hara (Shiva) being one God.
- Amman went on penance on the earth to see “Lord Shiva” & “Lord Vishnu” together hence known as Sankara Narayanar.The right portion of the idol has sandal and indicates Lord Siva, with cobra around his neck & moon above his head.The left side of the idol indicates Lord Vishnu having “Sanghu” in his hand.
- During March and September months, the rays of Sun fall on Sankaralingam for three days from 21st of the respective months.
- Two serpents Sangan and Pathuman worshiped this Lingam.
- Highly powerful Sree Sakra and Angna Sakra are found in front of Amman.
- The Puthu Maan or ant hill sand is offered as Prasad for the devotees. It is believed that consuming a pinch of the sand Prasad will help to cure a lot of diseases.
- Adi Thabasu Festival is the important festival celebrated in the temple during the Tamil month of Aadi (July – August). The Chitthirai Brahmmotsavam Festival in celebrated during April – May. Aipasi wedding festival in celebrated in October – November. The annual Theppam Floating Festival is conducted in January – February.
Benefits: Gives marriage and children, Relief from Naga Dosa, relief from psychic and eye related diseases.